I just finished Jack Vance's 'Dying Earth' series. The series was a bit rambling and dense at times. Although I really enjoyed the episodic Cugel stories. I now really get the whole 'Vancian Magic' concept. Memorizing complicated spells, intoning strange syllables and making odd gesturing. Then after the spell is used it is wiped from your memory. I also learned some cool spell naming schemes.
Here is a few spell names of my own design.
Fastidious Rending Lash
Doubtful Distracting Hiccup
Radiant Glow of Ennui
Resplendent Parting Gesture
Flippant False Feign
Tilting Perception of Time
and
Fragrant Urge of Embarrassment
I whole heartily recommend the series.
One Year Gone
-
While yesterday marked the commemoration of the birth of one of the hobby's
founders, today marks a rather different milestone: *one year since the
conclu...

I love the Dying Earth series! I came to it a little late--just a couple of summers ago--but am glad I did. It is no longer published, but the Dying Earth RPG is a most excellent and recommendable compendium for traveling the lands under the paltry light of that waning orb. If you can find it, buy it!
ReplyDelete